WELCOME TO KAYENTA CHAPTER ADMINISTRATION WEBSITE
Kayenta Chapter Officials & Administrative Staff
Admin. Assistant Aide
Kayenta Chapter Meeting, June 21, 2023 @ 5:30pm. Call In #: 1 503-917-5597 Pin: 667 682 917# Google Mtg ID: yun-qbnc-awc
Kayenta (Navajo: Tó Dínéeshzheeʼ) is a U.S. census-designated place (CDP) which is part of the Navajo Nation and is in Navajo County, Arizona. The population was 5,189 at the 2010 census. Kayenta is located 25 miles (40 km) south of Monument Valley and contains a number of hotels and motels which service visitors to Monument Valley. Like other places on the Navajo Nation, it is illegal to serve alcohol. Arizona does not observe Daylight Time; however, the Navajo reservation does.
Kayenta Township is the only municipal-style government on the Navajo Nation. It is regarded as a political sub-division of the Navajo Nation. It is managed by a five-member elected town board, which hires the township manager.
Kayenta is the name for the Chapter, as well as the township. Kayenta Chapter (a political division within the Navajo Nation that is analogous to a county within a state) encompasses land in both Utah and Arizona. Thus, the Navajo Nation’s census figures for Kayenta Chapter are significantly different from those of Kayenta proper.
Kayenta is located at (36.7118, -110.2505), at an elevation of 5,700 feet, (1,738 m).
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,189 people. The population density was 393.1 people per square mile (151.3/km2) with a total of 1,375 housing units. The racial makeup of the CDP was 92.27% Native American, 4.56% White, 0.25% Black or African American, 0.08% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.31% from other races, and 2.51% from two or more races. 1.97% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 38.9% under the age of 18, 11.4% from 18 to 24, 11.9% from 25 to 34, 33.2% from 35 to 64, and 4.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.7 males.
Federal & State Government Services
- United States Postal Service 1-800-275-8777
- Kayenta Justice Court (Navajo County) (928) 697-3522
- AZ Department of Economic Security (855) 432-7587
- Arizona Dept. of Transportation (928) 697-3558
Navajo Nation Offices
- Kayenta Chapter House (1 (928) 882-1110
- Kayenta Township (928) 697-8419
- Social Services (928) 697-5530
- Senior Center (928) 697-5577
- Navajo Housing Authority (928) 697-3100
- Workforce Department (928) 697-5666
- N.T.U.A. (800) 528-5011
- Behavioral Health (928) 697-5570
- NN Self Reliance (928) 697-3218
Kayenta Public Safety
- Kayenta NN Police Deparment (928) 697-5600
- Kayenta Health Center (928) 697-4000
- Kayenta Justice Center (928) 697-5601
- Navajo Criminal Investigation (928) 697-5511
- Navajo Nation Probation & Parole (928) 697-5500
- Kayenta Navajo Nation Courthouse (928) 697-5546
- Kayenta EMS Training Center (928) 697-5720
Kayenta Field Day, a family event of sack races, skateboard competitions, bouncy houses, eating competitions and other various events that takes place normally at the end of June.
Kayenta Fourth of July Rodeo is an annual multi-day event taking place from July 1–4.
Kayenta 4th of July Fireworks display, event takes place at the end of the Rodeo on July 4th every year.
Kayenta 4th of July Pow Wow and Song-n-Dance, these events usually take place at MVHS Nash Center and Beets Gymnasium.
- K.U.S.D Administration Office (928) 697-3251
- Kayenta-Monument Valley High School (9th-12th) (928) 697-2100
- Kayenta Middle School (5th-8th) (928) 697-2200
- Kayenta Elementary School (1st-4th) (928) 697-2300
- Early Childhood Education (Preschool-Kindergarten) (928) 697-2461
- KUSD Transportation Department (928) 697-2122
- MVHS Agri-Science Center-Veterinary Center (928) 697-2175
There are several schools that serve the community. Kayenta Elementary School, Kayenta Middle School, and Monument Valley High School are the public schools. Kayenta Community School, part of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, is a boarding school serving both day and dorm students.
Kayenta is the home of several sit down and fast food restaurants, most of which are located at the junction between the 160 and the 163.
Fast food restuarant:
- Burger King
- Taco Bell
- Church’s Chicken
- Pizza Edge
- Sonic Drive-In
- Golden Rice Bowl (currently closed)
- Amigo’s Cafe
- Blue Coffee Pot
- Wagon Wheel Restuarant (located inside Kayenta-MV Inn)
- Reuben Heflin Restaurant (located inside Kayenta Hampton Inn)
Groceries and shopping
Kayenta has one shopping center located in town (Kayenta Navajo Nation Shopping Center Inc.) which is home to several stores, Bank, Theater and fast food restaurants.
- Bashas Dine Market Place
- Navajo Westerners Ace Hardware
- Black Mesa Twin Cinema
- Wells Fargo Bank
- H&R Block
- Video Plus
- Beauty Way Salon
- Taco Bell
- Pizza Edge
- Monument Valley Car Wash
Kayenta Shopping Center is the only large shopping center within 50 mile radius. Kayenta plays a vital role is providing service to many small surrounding communities. The nearest Walmart and Sam’s club is about 77-130 miles away in the communities of Page, Flagstaff Arizona, Farmington and Gallup New Mexico.
- NAPA Autoparts (928) 697-3040
- Jo D’s Laundry Ph# NA
- Navajo Arts n Crafts (928) 697-8622
- Wells Fargo Bank (928) 697-3492
- Chief Propane (928) 697-3763
- Ferellgas (928) 697-3411
- Draper Glass (928) 697-3633
- EZ Rent LLC (928) 697-8328
- Kayenta Transfer Station (928) 697-8451
- Speedway (928) 697-3525
- Alon (928) 697-3024
- Chevron (928) 697-3425
Kayenta has three hotels serving traveler visiting our community. Two of the Hotels are located on US Hwy 160 and the other Hotel is located 1 mile north of US Hwy junction 160/163.
Kayenta-Monument Valley Inn (928) 697-3221
Kayenta Hampton Inn (928) 697-3170
Kayenta Wetherill Inn (928) 697-3231
Kayenta Community Recreation Park:
- Covered Gazebo
- Skate Park
- Childrens Playground
- Basketball court
- 1 Baseball field
- 1 Softball field
- Walking trail with stretching bar stops
Kayenta Fitness Center- Free weights and cardio machines.
Kayenta Unified School District (Home of the MUSTANGS) has state of the art fitness/weight room and home to 5 gyms where normally it open to Open Gym (Basketball/Volleyball), Zumba and other events such as Bazaars.
On the east side of the community is a paved landing strip that can handle small single engine and twin engine aircraft used for air tours and air ambulance services.
Kayenta is home to several Churches:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS)
- Kayenta Bible Church
- Kayenta Presbyterian Church
- Our Lady of Gaudalupe Catholic Church
- Kayenta Potter’s House
- Living Word Assembly of God
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses
- First Baptist Church
- Harvest Time Church
- Kayenta Pentecostal Church of God
- Kayenta Church of Christ
- Seventh-Day Aventist Church and Community Services
Many Church’s provide great service to our community members, especially our elderly and children which we are grateful for.
In terms of banking, there is a Wells Fargo located in Kayenta, as well as a Western Union, and an H&R Block. There is a U.S. post office in Kayenta. There is one movie rental location, a NAPA auto and truck parts store, and an Urban Trendz haircut place.
• Chapter President
|• Total||13.24 sq mi (34.28 km2)|
|• Land||13.17 sq mi (34.12 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.16 km2)|
|5,700 ft (1,738 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0006627|